Sometimes you really don’t choose a place to live. Happenstance brings you there. You arrive where you are in pursuit of a dream job, familial matters requiring your attentions, school of choice is there and many other reasons.
Asheville, of all the places I’ve ever lived was a choice. I’ve never been sorry and continue those thoughts some 18 years post the purchase of our Asheville Bed and Breakfast. Many times though the years I’ve been asked why. What sets this place apart? Why does this place feel like it has claimed my heart and now, when I say the word “home”~Asheville defines the answer.
I have given the matter thought and this is what I’ve come up with. I find these elements important both for a home and also for a place folks might choose to visit hence my inclusion of these thoughts in a blog post.
- First and foremost, Asheville remains largely polite. No place is perfect and so I cannot give blanket endorsement of same but our community is primarily a courteous one offering this gift to tourists and locals alike.
- Asheville is socially conscious and seems to promote those feelings in others. We look to care for our own and it is part of the agenda…both personally among our residents and often, we actually belly up to the bar and put our money where our mouths are reflected in back packs when school starts, blanket and coat drives in the winter etc.
- We are mindful of the gifts of Asheville and seek to preserve them. Much of what brings people to this city is natural resources. This is true of the craft beer industry that thrives in this area making use of our exceptional water quality and also the blessing of supreme natural beauty found in Western North Carolina evidenced nearly everywhere you look. There are many community efforts every year to clean streams of garbage and debris to maintain that standard. Trails are adopted and maintained in our forests by both private citizens and groups dedicated to their betterment.
- Whatever sounds like fun to you; it’s likely we have it here. From hiking and craft brews to music, symphony, opera, and art. It’s local and it’s thriving.
- The simple concept of ecumenical~as it pertains to cooperation and everyone’s well being being not existing as a completely independent operation~but a collaborative effort.